All Time Favourite Cheese and Tomato Macaroni
Time: Under 30 minutes
Food doesn’t get more comfy than this! Kids really go for it, so make enough for second helpings.
- 3 cups (750 ml) macaroni or small pasta shells
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk, heated
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500 ml) shredded Canadian old Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion until softened. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute without browning. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; whisk in mustard. Cook, stirring often, for 10 to 12 min or until thickened (do not boil).
- Remove from heat; stir in cheddar and parmesan cheeses until melted. Drain tomatoes again and stir into sauce along with salt and pepper. Pour over macaroni and toss to coat.
comments powered by Disqus